Thursday, September 17, 2015

What to expect: Disagreement

I've been asked, "What can voters expect if you are elected?" I think it is safe to say that you can expect me to make some decisions with which you disagree.
I've posted three more letters of support from active members of the Provo community for whom I have great respect: Sherrie Hall Everett, Aaron Skabelund, and Christian Faulconer. In his letter, Christian points out that we don't agree on every issue, yet I have his full support.

Many of you know that earlier this year I unsuccessfully applied for the vacancy that opened on the Council when our beloved Councilman, Stephen Hales, tragically passed away. Several residents of Provo wrote to the City Council in support of my application. Council members noticed that many of the authors went out of their way to mention that they don't always agree with me. One writer went so far as to call me one of his "most ardent opponents" when he was running for office. So why would they support someone with whom they disagree?

If I'm elected to the Council, and if you follow the issues that come before the Council closely enough, I can almost guarantee that eventually you will disagree with one of my votes. But with that admission, I also promise that I will strive to engage with you and understand your position when we have differing opinions. I welcome and encourage healthy debate on controversial issues. Sherrie said that she appreciates my "respectful demeanor" and "statesmanlike manner" when the city committee that we serve on together holds "differing opinions." The result, she concludes, is that "We are able to thoughtfully and thoroughly discuss issues and better recommendations have been the result." I believe this is why I have the support of people even after our disagreements.

I have butted heads with many of the people who support my candidacy. At the end of our discussions, they may feel that I'm mistaken, but they know that I hold my opinion out of a sincere belief that it is in the best interest of the community, and that I have tried looking at the issue from their point-of-view.

And this feeling is usually mutual. One of the most rewarding parts of being involved in the community comes from leaving a debate, not with agreement, but with greater understanding and respect for those on the other side of the issue. There are so many people in the community that I hold in high regard, yet there are none that I can think of with whom I always agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment