Wednesday, June 17, 2015

On Opposition and Elections

Yesterday Calli Hales contacted me to let me know that she had withdrawn from the District 5 Council race. After talking with her, I understand and support her decision. I wish her and her family all the best as she finishes her term on the Council. I am confident that she will continue her service to Provo and our community in one way or another, as she always has done. We owe her a debt of gratitude.

I am saddened to see her leave the race for several reasons. I feel like Ms. Hales and I could have run a model race. District 5 was subjected to some nasty politics over the past two election cycles. Ms. Hales and I would have kept things positive and respectful as we debated ideas and policies. We would have presented our qualifications, capabilities, and vision for our district and then let the voters decide who would best represent them. Such a race would have helped the healing in our district, would have encouraged more people to get involved, and would have helped everyone to feel like they have a voice in local governance.

Having an opponent also gives the campaign a sense of urgency and brings it more sharply into focus. Without anyone else in the race, I doubt that I'll be invited to too many debates. This is a missed opportunity. I believe that healthy discussion and debate leads to better ideas and broader and deeper understanding. Campaigning is a great way for me to meet voters and residents, get to know you, and to allow you to get to know me. Even without an opponent, I pledge to walk the district and knock on doors, to help me better understand your concerns and your ideas, so that I can be a better representative if I am elected.

I also believe in democracy and our electoral process. For this to work right, voters need a choice.

The period to get your name on the ballot has closed, but you still have until September 4th to declare candidacy as a write-in. I welcome a challenger or two to help make this race interesting again. If you know someone who would make a good representative for our district on the Council, please encourage them to run. Or consider running yourself if you feel like you have the time, passion, and qualities to represent our district well. This will give voters a choice, the candidates a reason to engage, and, in the end, a better representative will be elected, whoever that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment