Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Contributions and Campaigning

The first round of Financial Disclosures has been posted for Provo City races. The good news is that I received the most contributions in my race. The bad news is that I received the least contributions in my race. But I guess that has to be expected when you are running unopposed.

In all seriousness, I am humbled and am grateful for the support that is represented by these campaign contributions. I promise to use these funds wisely.

It is reasonable to ask why I'm even accepting contributions and what is the point of campaigning if I'm running unopposed. First off, the deadline for a write-in candidate is still a long ways off, and I'm still holding out hope that someone will file. But in the meantime, and even if nobody files, it is very important for me to engage in campaigning.

Campaigning to me is about building relationships. Regardless of opposition in the election, I hope to represent my District 5 neighbors for the next two years. That is hard to do if I don't know them. When tough decisions are before the Council, I want residents of District 5 to feel comfortable in contacting me. I want to know who is passionate about certain issues so I can contact them. Campaigning will help me to develop these relationships. I will need these relationships and support if I feel the need to push an issue that isn't popular with the rest of the Council.

Campaigning will help me to better understand the diversity of the District, to broaden my understanding of our vision for the City. It will help me to explore ideas with people about how to respond to the challenges and opportunities that we face. Campaigning will also help the people of District 5 to better understand me, so that they will know what to expect from me if I'm elected.

So I will continue to campaign. I will continue to reach out to my neighbors. I will engage with the candidates in the other races. I will continue to invite conversations with the people I hope to represent. And I will continue to ask for contributions from people who support me, and I will use that money in the best ways I can.

The second round of disclosures will come out at the end of July. Here is an easy way to get your name on the list. I'm asking everyone who supports my run to consider donating at least $5.

No comments:

Post a Comment